Wednesday, March 3, 2010

CNY Lion Dance part1 (Warning! Lots of picture)

Well, its pretty normal to have lion dance during CNY, but with less and less of lion dancers and more and more of watchers, the fees has sky-rocketed ever since. Well, who can blame them, its once a year, and they need to practice too, and they also need to perform while we are enjoying the new year. Lion Dance to me is basically means that bringing prosperity and luck etc, while the burning of the red crackers either brings luck or repels bad luck, couldn't recall, but according to wiki it says it originated from India or something. On the other hand, according to AllMalaysia.info 'mythological creature known as Nian terrorised China and devoured its people on the eve of the new year. The only animal that managed to wound this beast was the lion. Thus, in an attempt to frighten the beast, the villagers decided to mimic the lion with lions made of cloth'.  And there are many other sources as well, but overall, what we know now is during CNY, there must be lion dance, though I rarely see the dragon and the round guy anymore. Hehe


Well, here are the pictures taken during my CNY holiday in Malacca. Location:
Taman Cheng Indah, Malacca

First house, my Uncle's house




This was the things that we prepared for the lion dance, including the red packet (Ang Pau)


















Then off to my house













I got so bored of waiting, I did this



















Then I was still bored, so just sat there and played with my sis's camera




And she saw me playing, then she also decided to join in


Followed by my dad who also got tired of waiting



Now this one looks nice, too bad the inside is rather dark






I call him Ken-tut, this is Kenneth Chong, my aunt's son. They live in Tangkak, but he and his sis are in KL working now.


Me, can't stand the heat, so I took a bath and lazy to wear nice nice d.


Zachary or known as Vege Monster by Elmo saw me taking a pic of my sis, he decided to let his finger join in the fun as well.


Without letting her know about the above picture, I just asked her to take another one, when she noticed the above picture, lets just say someone somewhere got something extra.



My mom was complaining why let them sit under the hot sun, then she noticed something else, the kids were plucking the flowers, she didn't felt like scolding anyone since its CNY so she just let it off the hook


My parents and the 'botak lou' is my Holland Uncle's son


VIP seat


Our 'offering'. I think that is what its called. And noticed that little guy there, my sis used 2 or 3 days to create him, all using paper, it can even move the eye and mouth.


I wanted to do that actually


Lol-ed the kid















Imagine the guy infront peeling and decorating while the kid behind shaking the tail. That is whats going on down there.




Little Jaydene and her Dad Gary Wong and her grandma who is sitting next to her makes superb 'TauFuFa'




Dek Dek (Hazel) with my sis

Little guy supervising big guy






Forgot where my brother went to



Dek Dek loves to play with our Shih Tzu (Tu Tu)




Took this again because the 'Botak Lou' just took our picture, no lion in it. When we took this, coincidentally the lion gets up.








From this


Into this


So now we know why the kids were vandalising the flowers. 

More lion on the next update. 45min late for class. 

4 comments:

They call me LeeSze. said...

omg omg. if i were at your house when the lion dance was going on, i'll freak out and lock myself in your room or the toilet. omg. wtf. lol. eh your sis dam chun wei!!

skol said...

Haha, don't worry, ask my dog Tutu protect you. Hahaha

They call me LeeSze. said...

ahahah tutu! see now my mom comparing puppy to tutu. ask tutu act abit more rascal-ish wen my mom is around can anot?

skol said...

Haha, that a bit hard, unless your mom bring a dog together la, then you can see her garang face